[Beowulf] cloud: ho hum?

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Wed Feb 1 07:37:30 PST 2012

My $.02 from what I see in industry (life sciences)

- The ability to transform capital expense money into OpEx money alone
is pushing some cloud interest at high levels. No joke. Possibly a very
large cloud interest driver in the larger organizations. This is also
attractive for tiny startups and companies just leaving the VC
incubation phase.

- Deployment speed. We have customers who wait weeks after making an IT
helpdesk request for a new VM to be created. Other customers take 1+
years to design, RFP and choose their HPC solution and another 4 months
to deploy it.  If you can do in minutes (via good DevOps techniques)
what the IT organization normally takes weeks or months to do then
you've got some good arguments for targeting cloud environments for
quick, dev, test and on-off scientific computing environments

- Quick capability gains - in some cases it's quicker and easier to get
quick access to GPUs, servers with 10Gbe interconnects and well-built
systems for running MapReduce style big data workflows on cloud platforms

- Data exchange. Cloud is a good place for collaborators to meet and
work together without punching massive holes in local firewalls. It's
also a good place to either put data or get data from an outsourced
provider or collaborator/partner. Many Genome Sequencing outsourcing
companies can deliver your genomes directly to an EBS or AWS S3 bucket
these days.

- I'm a believer in the pricing and economies of scale argument in some
cases. For pricing take AWS S3 as an example - internal IT people who
snipe at the pricing willfully (or not) seem to ignore the inconvenient
fact that S3 does not acknowledge a successful object PUT request until
the data has landed in 3 datacenters.

If you want an honest cost comparison for cloud-based object storage
then you have to start with legit fully-loaded cost estimates for
deploying and running an internal petascale-capable system that spans
three separate facilities. That ain't cheap.

- Truthfully though I don't use or push cloud economic arguments all
that much these days. It's incredibly easy to distort the numbers anyway
you want so it's rare to have a

- Ability to do work that was not considered viable at home. The 90,000
core AWS Top500 cluster that was in the news is a good example. Some
organizations have HPC or other problems of such scale that running them
internally is not even on the radar. In rare cases spinning up something
massive and exotic for a few days is a viable option.

- Cyclical needs. Some of my customers have big compute needs that come
about only every 3-4 years; most are looking at cloud now rather than
buying local gear and seeing it depreciate or be under-utilized most of
the time

I agree that the cloud is overhyped and we certainly don't see a ton of
HPC migrating entirely to the cloud. What we see in the trenches and out
in the real world is significant interest in leveraging the cloud for
Speed, Capability, Cost or "weird" use cases.

-Chrius

Tel: | Mobile: