[Beowulf] DARPA issues 20 MUSD grant to nVidia to go from 1 GFLOPS/Watt to 75 GFLOPS/Watt

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Dec 19 13:47:16 PST 2012

Yes.. http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-automotive.html

Jim Lux

From: Jonathan Aquilina [mailto:eagles051387 at gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:57 AM
To: Lux, Jim (337C)
Cc: Vincent Diepeveen; Beowulf at beowulf.org
Subject: Re: [Beowulf] DARPA issues 20 MUSD grant to nVidia to go from 1 GFLOPS/Watt to 75 GFLOPS/Watt

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 8:15 PM, Lux, Jim (337C) <james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov<mailto:james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov>> wrote:

I wonder what Nvidia chips are used in Audis and BMWs?  The video display, perhaps: there's a nifty 3D rendered view of the GPS mapping info in the new BMWs?  I don't see a real need for that kind of horsepower in an Engine Control Unit.  Maybe in a smart cruise control that does station keeping, or in a collision avoidance system.  Actually, I don't really see Nvidia being in the "safety critical" space at all.
I really wouldnt be suprised if its the tegra's that would be in those vehicles. Only thing i coudl think of it would be used in in car GPS or the fancy radio setup with all those features they have, who knows.