[Beowulf] Help: Raspberry Pi Cluster

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Mon Dec 17 05:09:23 PST 2012

>> the seq stuff I see is quite IO-intensive, sometimes memory-intensive.
> How do I know if the application is IO-intensive or memory-intensive? Any
> tools to measure that?

code inspection is the best tool.  you should know the number and size of
files your workflow touches, and how it accesses them.  running a program
under "time" is the most basic form of profiling, and tells you how much
your job is waiting on the OS (basically, disk IO.)  similarly, the
memory footprint (potentially memgrind or cachegrind would give some
added insight here.)

editing replies is considered polite.