[Beowulf] Xeon Phi questions - does it have *any* future?

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Fri Dec 14 07:34:30 PST 2012

Hi James,

The big question i would like to ask intel architects is whether the
Xeon Phi architecture has a future,
so what comes AFTER this Xeon Phi?

The next chip that's at least 2x faster than Xeon Phi, is it ever
going to be there? if so, at what price?

 From what i understand it has cache coherency - otherwise it could
not run x86 codes at a slow speed.

The gpgpu hardware doesn't have cache coherency. This is why we have
so many cores in such a short period of time at the
gpu's.

 From answers from engineers i understand the reason why most normal
cpu's do not have more cores is because of the cache coherency. More
cores are a cache coherency nightmare.

Cache coherency is very costly to maintain in a cpu. So the question
i want to ask is whether Xeon Phi scales for future
generations of releases of it.

Are they going to modify the AVX2 code to AVX3, so vectors from 1024
bits in the future, in order to get some extra performance?

I assume more cores is going to be near impossible to keep coherent.
60 is already a lot.

How is intel going to win factors in the future at this Xeon Phi
design? Are they going to drop the cache coherency simply?
Resulting of course in a chip that no longer can run x86 codes at all
- which seems to be the major salespoint right now.

 From my viewpoint seen the next version of the Xeon Phi, let's call
it the 2 Tflop chip,
X years from now, it's going to require modifying all codes again
isn't it?

They have to drop something from the chip. Either the 512 bits
vectors and move those up to 1024 bits, which is the usual solution
intel goes for, or drop the cache coherency and move from 60 to 120
cores (working cores), at which point your scripts no longer will
execute
as the x86 compatibility is gone then.

Can you ask this question to one of the Xeon Phi architects next time
you encounter them?