[Beowulf] NFSoIB and SRP benchmarking

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 27 04:38:20 PDT 2012

On Aug 27, 2012, at 1:31 PM, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:

> Yeah it will be a great machines. You get what you pay for of course.
> Confirming that is not even interesting. If you pay big bucks
> obviously it'll be fast.
>
> For such machines, just break the raid card during operation, then
> replace it with another
> card and see whether your data still is there and whether it can
> work without too much problems
> within the crucial 2 minutes that you've got normally at exchanges
> to get new equipment in
> (not counting rebuild time), or you're fired.
>
> So for rich financials i bet such machines are attractive.
>
> As for HPC, scaling is important.
>
> As for cheap scaling....
>
> If i search for benchmarks of raid controllers, you can find
> everything as well.
>
> What really misses is benchmarks of built in raid controllers.
>
> If you want to scale cheap it's interesting to know how to do the i/
> o obviously.
>
> The motherboards i've got have the ESB2 from intel built in as RAID
> controller.
>
> If i google i see nothing on expected read/write speeds.
>
> Nearly all raid controllers you always see have a limit of 1 GB/s,
> that really sucks
> compared to even the bandwidth one can generate to the RAM.
>
> Basically 1 GB/s with 8 cores Xeon 2.5Ghz means you've got 8 *
> 2.5Ghz = 20k cycles a byte, or 32k instructions you can
> execute for reading or writing just 1 byte.

Oh dear calculations on monday... ...make that 20Ghz * 4 instructions
per cycle / 1 GB = 80 cycles a byte...

Or for each 'bitboard' which is 64 bits, so similar to a double, if
you read and write it.

You read 2 and write 1.

That's 24 bytes of i/o.

So that's 80 cycles * 24 = 1920 instructions. I didn't factor in
SSE4.2 yet...

For i/o intensive applications bandwidth is interesting to have to
the i/o. I don't see how file servers deliver that for clusters.