[Beowulf] RFC: Restrict posting to subscribers only ?

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Aug 24 06:32:04 PDT 2012

I'm one of the moderators on the (moderated) Tesla Coil Mailing List,
using Mailman, and Chip Atkinson (list owner) has set up something that
silently discards a lot of the spam.  I'd say we get maybe <10% posts from
non-subscribers coming through along with the rest of the traffic.  Of
that 10% maybe half or a third is something not worthy of response.  The
rest of the non-subscriber posts, we just bounce with a nice message
saying "please subscribe, and your post will go through".

The list has been around for 10-20 years, so it must receive plenty of
spam at the front end.  If you're interested, I can put you in touch with
Chip and he'd probably be happy to explain what he does.