[Beowulf] packaged build environments

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Aug 21 11:27:38 PDT 2012

A recent post brought up a question…

Are there quasi standarized ways to distribute the build system.  I've got a bunch of applications that use the gcc toolchain (targeting SPARC, as it happens), and we'd like a clean way to distribute the toolchain, in parallel with the sources. This instead of sending them a list of the half a dozen places to get all the pieces, and hoping that they get all the pieces with the correct versions. Then, they have to go through a raft of make-ing to build the host tools, then the target tools.  Yes, we have a script for it all, but if someone else has solved it in a more generalized fashion, I'd love to adopt it.

Jim Lux