[Beowulf] materials for air shroud?

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Fri Sep 16 07:54:32 PDT 2011

mathog wrote:
> A not so short story about air flow...
>
> Yesterday I did some experimenting with different baffles and ducts,
> each built temporarily
> out of the cardboard backs from yellow notepads and held together with
> masking tape.  (Not worried
> about a fire, since it only ran for 10 minutes at a time like that, and
> I was right there to
> yank the plug and rip out the cardboard if something went wrong.)  The
> system has a Supermicro H8DC8
> motherboard in a Supermicro case.  This one:
>
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/2U/823/SC823S-550LP.cfm
>
> This is what that motherboard looks like without heat sinks:
>
> http://www.supermicro.com/a_images/products/Aplus/MB/H8DC8_spec.jpg
>
> and here is a very similar motherboard with heat sinks in place (but
> not my
> motherboard, which uses conventional flat passive heat sinks, not the
> big curved
> orange monsters in the picture).
>
> http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/TeamScream/Wide-2.jpg
>
> Notice the 50% overlap in the heat sinks in the direction of the
> airflow?
> That is the overlap with more conventional heat sinks too. Yes, it
> really
> does feed hot air from CPU1 into CPU2.   Putting a little wall in,
> redirecting the hot air from CPU1 around CPU2 dropped CPU2's
> temperature
> by 4C.  Nothing else I tried made a bit of difference - including
> lowering
> the "ceiling" over CPU2.  CPU2 is still hotter than CPU1 even with that
> fix.  The reason it will not get any better is that while there are 4
> fans
> in the system, they are not placed very well for this motherboard.  The
> first one sends all of its air into the PS and so doesn't cool the CPUs
> at all.  Totally a waste since the PS has a fan already.  The next fan
> is partially blocked by CPU1, so maybe 3/4 of its air is available for
> CPU2.
> CPU1 then gets the remaining 1/4 of that fan, and most of the next fan,
> so around 1 whole fan's worth.  The last fan blows over the chipset and
> PCI slots, again, with no contribution to cooling the  CPUS.
>
> For comparison, here is a Rio-works  HDAMA motherboard which we have.
> For
> this design airflow was taken into account.  Note that the CPU sockets
> are
> spaced farther apart perpendicular to the air flow.  It is very similar
> hardware otherwise:
>
> http://www.opteronics.com/images/16a_MBLarge.jpg
>
> there are some pictures of these with heat sinks in place which may be
> found
> by google image search for "HDAMA motherboard" - I didn't want to link
> to them as they
> all seem to be on ebay and those links could disappear at any time.
> Note how the
> [...]

Hi David

It may complicate matters too much, but to avoid blowing warm
air over CPU2 on the SuperMicro board, is it possible to make two ducts,
slightly S-shaped ( __/``` ), one blowing air on the (cpu-1-RAM)+CPU2,
the other on CPU1+(cpu-2-RAM)?
Or perhaps a single duct, but include an S-shaped wall/divider between
the two?

Gus Correa