[Beowulf] Users abusing screen

Jan Wender j.wender at science-computing.de
Sun Oct 23 23:30:12 PDT 2011

On 10/21/2011 03:10 PM, Prentice Bisbal wrote:
> I have a question that isn't directly related to clusters, but I suspect
> it's an issue many of you are dealing with are dealt with: users using
> the screen command to stay logged in on systems and running long jobs
> that they forget about. Have any of you experienced this, and how did
> you deal with it?

How about killing long-running (either elapsed or used time) processes not
started through the batch system? You should be able to identify them by looking
at the process tree.
At least one cluster I know kills all user processes which have not been started
from the queueing system.

Cheerio,
Jan
--
---- Company Information ----
Vorstand/Board of Management: Dr. Bernd Finkbeiner, Dr. Roland Niemeier, Dr.