[Beowulf] $1, 279-per-hour, 30, 000-core cluster built on Amazon EC2 cloud

mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Tue Oct 4 14:39:40 PDT 2011

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 13:43:15 -0700, Lux, Jim (337C) wrote:

> So call it 12c/kWh on peak.  At 400kW, that's $48/hr, which isn't
> bad, operating expenses wise.

Well, yes and no.  If they only turned it on once and a while it
wouldn't
be too bad, but I'm pretty sure it runs 100% of the time.  At least I
have never
walked by when the racks were not lit up, so...

   $48 * 24 * 365 = $420480/year

Versus the average lab at (waves hands) $150 in electricity a month =
$1800/year?
It will of course depend on what kind of work the lab does.  The
difference is two orders of
magnitude.  Anyway, last I looked we had around 300 professors, so that
one facility
used up, order of magnitude, as much juice as all the "normal" labs
combined.  (Certainly there
are some other labs around which also use a lot of electricity.)

Cooling water usage was probably also a sore point from the
administration's perspective.
Pretty much everything here runs AC off chilled water coming from a
central plant.  Either
that cluster used up a whole lot of chilled water capacity at the
central plant or they built a
a separate chiller somewhere. Dave Kewley who sometimes posts here used
to run
that system, so he would know.

Regards

David Mathog