[Beowulf] $1, 279-per-hour, 30, 000-core cluster built on Amazon EC2 cloud

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Mon Oct 3 11:17:33 PDT 2011

I think everyone has a similar thoughts, but the presentation
provides some real data and experiences.

BTW, for those interested, I have new poll on ClusterMonkey asking
about clouds and HPC. (http://www.clustermonkey.net/)

The last poll was on GP-GPU use.

--
Doug

> [...]
>>> supercomputer in your own data center, cloud computing lets businesses
>>> spin
>>> up temporary clusters at will and stop paying for them as soon as the
>>> computing needs are met.
>>>
>>> A vendor called Cycle Computing is on a mission to demonstrate the
>>> potential
>>> of Amazon’s cloud by building increasingly large clusters on the
>>> Elastic
>>> Compute Cloud. Even with Amazon, building a cluster takes some work,
>>> but
>>> Cycle combines several technologies to ease the process and recently
>>> used
>>> them to create a 30,000-core cluster running CentOS Linux.
>>>
>>> The cluster, announced publicly this week, was created for an unnamed
>>> “Top 5
>>> Pharma” customer, and ran for about seven hours at the end of July at
>>> peak
>>> cost of $1,279 per hour, including the fees to Amazon and Cycle
>>> Computing.
>>> The details are impressive: 3,809 compute instances, each with eight
>>> cores
>>> and 7GB of RAM, for a total of 30,472 cores, 26.7TB of RAM and 2PB
>>> (petabytes) of disk space. Security was ensured with HTTPS, SSH and
>>> 256-bit
>>> AES encryption, and the cluster ran across data centers in three Amazon
>>> regions in the United States and Europe. The cluster was dubbed
>>> “Nekomata.”
>>>
>>> Spreading the cluster across multiple continents was done partly for
>>> disaster
>>> recovery purposes, and also to guarantee that 30,000 cores could be
>>> provisioned. “We thought it would improve our probability of success
>>> if
>>> we
>>> spread it out,” Cycle Computing’s Dave Powers, manager of product
>>> engineering, told Ars. “Nobody really knows how many instances you
>>> can
>>> get at
>>> any one time from any one [Amazon] region.”
>>>
>>> Amazon offers its own special cluster compute instances, at a higher
>>> cost
>>> than regular-sized virtual machines. These cluster instances provide 10
>>> Gigabit Ethernet networking along with greater CPU and memory, but they
>>> weren’t necessary to build the Cycle Computing cluster.
>>>
>>> The pharmaceutical company’s job, related to molecular modeling, was
>>> “embarrassingly parallel” so a fast interconnect wasn’t crucial.
>>> further
>>> reduce costs, Cycle took advantage of Amazon’s low-price “spot
>>> instances.” To
>>> manage the cluster, Cycle Computing used its own management software as
>>> well
>>> as the Condor High-Throughput Computing software and Chef, an open
>>> source
>>> systems integration framework.
>>>
>>> Cycle demonstrated the power of the Amazon cloud earlier this year with
>>> 10,000-core cluster built for a smaller pharma firm called Genentech.
>>> Now,
>>> 10,000 cores is a relatively easy task, says Powers. “We think
>>> we’ve
>>> mastered
>>> the small-scale environments,” he said. 30,000 cores isn’t the end
>>> game,
>>> either. Going forward, Cycle plans bigger, more complicated clusters,
>>> perhaps
>>> ones that will require Amazon’s special cluster compute instances.
>>>
>>> The 30,000-core cluster may or may not be the biggest one run on EC2.
>>> Amazon
>>> isn’t saying.
>>>
>>> “I can’t share specific customer details, but can tell you that we
>>> do
>>> have
>>> businesses of all sizes running large-scale, high-performance computing
>>> workloads on AWS [Amazon Web Services], including distributed clusters
>>> like
>>> the Cycle Computing 30,000 core cluster to tightly-coupled clusters
>>> often
>>> used for science and engineering applications such as computational
>>> fluid
>>> dynamics and molecular dynamics simulation,” an Amazon spokesperson
>>> told
>>> Ars.
>>>
>>> Amazon itself actually built a supercomputer on its own cloud that made
>>> it
>>> onto the list of the world’s Top 500 supercomputers. With 7,000
>>> cores,
>>> the
>>> Amazon cluster ranked number 232 in the world last November with speeds
>>> of
>>> 41.82 teraflops, falling to number 451 in June of this year. So far,

Doug

believed to be clean.