[Beowulf] Intel unveils 1 teraflop chip with 50-plus cores

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Nov 16 03:04:50 PST 2011

Well,

If it's gonna use 2 pci-express slots, for sure it's eating massive
power, just like the gpu's.

Furthermore the word 'double precision' is nowhere there, so we can
safely assume single precision.

Speaking of which - isn't nvidia and amd already delivering cards
that deliver a lot?

AMD's HD6990 is 500 euro and delivers a 5+ Tflop and supposedly so in
openCL.

Knowing intel is not delivering hardware dirt cheap - despite
hammering the bulldozer, bulldozer
so far is cheaper than any competative intel chip - though might
change a few months from now when the 22nm
parts are there.

For crunching get gpu's - as for intel - i hope they release cheap
sixcore cpu's and don't overprice 8 core Xeon...