[Beowulf] building Infiniband 4x cluster questions

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 7 12:09:46 PST 2011

It seems the latency of DDR infiniband to do a blocked read from
remote memory (RDMA) is between that of SDR and quadrics, with
quadrics being a lot faster.

http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=rdma%20latency%20ddr%
20infiniband&source=web&cd=9&ved=0CF8QFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%
2Fwww.cse.scitech.ac.uk%2Fdisco%2Fmew18%2FPresentations%2FDay2%
2F5th_Session%
2FMarkLehrer.pdf&ei=tjW4ToWjOY2dOoD69esB&usg=AFQjCNEzRhG5ljCxmm1r0SMXVob
nAbZUAQ&cad=rja

If i click there i get to a MarkLehrer.pdf

www.cse.scitech.ac.uk/disco/mew18/Presentations/.../MarkLehrer.pdf

It claims a RDMA read has latency of 1.91 us.

However i'll have to see that in my own benchmark first before i
believe it when we hammer with many different processes
at that card at the same time. You get problems like switch latencies
and other nasty stuff then.

This is a presentation slide and i need something that works in reality.

HP 4X DDR InfiniBand Mezzanine HCA 410533-B21 SFF-8470

they're $75 but just 2 of them available on ebay. The next 'ddr' one is

QLE7104 QLOGIC INFINIBAND 8X DDR SINGLE PORT HBA

So that's a qlogic one, $108 just 3 of them available, but we already
get at a dangerous price level.
Remember i want well over a million reads getting done a second and i
didn't count the pollution by writes even yet.

HP 4X DDR InfiniBand Mezzanine HCA - 2 Ports 448262-B21

They're $121 and again just 2 available.

This seems a problem with infiniband on ebay. Even if you search 16
cards, you can each time buy 2 or so max.
As if sometimes a scientist takes 2 back home and puts 'em on ebay.
No big 'old' masses get posted there.

The first one to offer 10, that's http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-
INFINIBAND-4X-DDR-PCI-E-DUAL-PORT-HCA-448397B21-/110649801200?
pt=COMP_EN_Hubs&hash=item19c33df9f0
That 's at $192.11 a piece.

It seems DDR infiniband still isn't in my pricerange Prentice.

The QM500-B's from quadrics go for between $30 and $50 however.