[Beowulf] building Infiniband 4x cluster questions

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Nov 7 08:54:11 PST 2011

An interesting writeup..

A sort of tangential question about that writeup..

They use the term "message oriented" with the description that the IB
hardware takes care of segmentation and so forth, so that the application
just says "send this" or "receive this" and the gory details are
concealed.   Then he distinguishes that from a TCP/IP stack, etc., where
the software does a lot of this, with the implication that the user has to
be involved in that.

But it seems to me that the same processes are going on.. You have a big
message, it needs to be broken up, etc.
And for *most users* all that is hidden underneath the hood of, say, MPI.
(obviously, if you are a message passing software writer, the distinction
is important).