[Beowulf] PetaBytes on a budget, take 2

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Fri Jul 22 14:20:54 PDT 2011

Incidentally, we have a museum-type Data General 9-track tape reader,
which was carefully preserved and is now dedicated to recover
seismic reflection data of old research cruises from the
1970's and 80's.
(IMHO the Fujitsu readers were even better,
but nobody can find those anymore.)

Short from writting on stone (and granite also has its weathering time
scale), one must occasionally copy over data that is still of interest
to new media, as David said.
I guess the time scale of reassessing what
is still of interest is what matters,
and it needs to be compatible with the longevity of current media.
Maybe forgetting is part of keeping sanity, and even of remembering.

The problem here, maybe in other places too,
is that funding for remembering what should be remembered,
and forgetting what should be forgotten, is often forgotten.

My two cents interjection.
Gus Correa