[Beowulf] PetaBytes on a budget, take 2

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Thu Jul 21 21:33:37 PDT 2011

> Either way, I think if someone were to foolishly just toss together
>> 100TB of data into a box they would have a hell of a time getting
> anywhere near even 10% of the theoretical max performance-wise.

storage isn't about performance any more.  ok, hyperbole, a little.
but even a cheap disk does > 100 MB/s, and in all honesty, there are
not tons of people looking for bandwidth more than a small multiplier
of that.  sure, a QDR fileserver wants more than a couple disks,
and if you're an iops-head, you're going flash anyway.