[Beowulf] Grid Engine multi-core thread binding enhancement -pre-alpha release

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Wed Jul 13 01:47:44 PDT 2011

> Hi Mark,
>
> I think a lot of this will apply to non-SGE batch schedulers -- in
> fact Torque will support hwloc in a future release.

That sounds good to me!

(Hint - if anyone from Altair is listening in it would be useful...)

> And all mature batch systems (eg. LSF, SGE, SLURM) have some sort of
> CPU set support for many years, but now this feature is more important
> as the interaction of different hardware layers impacts the
> performance more as more cores are added per socket.

I agree very much with what you say here.
The Gridengine topology-aware scheduling sounds great, and as you say
with multi-core architectures will
be more and more useful.

I'd like to mention cpuset support though - cpusets are of course
vitally useful, however you can have situations
where a topology-aware scheduler would allow you to allocate high core
count jobs on a machine, using cores which
are physically close to each other, yet  also run small core count yet
high memory jobs which access the memory
of those cores.

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.