[Beowulf] 9 traits of the veteran Unix admin

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Feb 17 07:59:58 PST 2011

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011, Leif Nixon wrote:

> "Robert G. Brown" <rgb at phy.duke.edu> writes:
>
>> How big are the emacs sources these days?  I mean, the installed binary
>> and common packages alone are 22 MB in F14... and was that 73 MB
>> installed?  Why, it was, wasn't it.  :-)
>
> And it's all full of goodness!

I'll bet it is!

And somewhere in the world, just imagine, there is actually a geek -- in
fact, I'd like to think of him as >>the<< ubergeek, an actual
evolutionary advance in ordinary geeks (at least, he would be if he were
ever able to reproduce), the geek whose blood serum is 2/3 Jolt cola and
1/3 Mountain Dew and who last actually got up from his workstation
console in 1994, the first year one was able to order new computer
hardware online for home delivery from the Web (using emacs ported to
the Commodore Amiga, of course, to actually >>access<< the web) -- who
knows >>every feature<< of emacs, how to use every single thing that it
can do.  In fact, like many emacs users, he doesn't bother with silly
things like mail clients, word processors, web browsers, editors,
windowing interfaces, or command line interfaces OUTSIDE of emacs,
because he never actually exits emacs.  Secretly, he doesn't really see
the point of consoles, xterms, shells and most software, because emacs
can simply replace them all.

I'm guessing that he has figured out how to hotwire init so that it just
forks emacs and skips everything else.  That is, assuming that he hasn't
actually hacked emacs directly into the kernel.  Who needs init, anyway?
One can start anything just as easily from inside emacs as by forking
off of init, right...?

;-)

     rgb