[Beowulf] personal HPC

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Thu Dec 22 08:51:17 PST 2011

For those that don't know, I have been working
on a commodity "desk side" cluster for a while.
I have been writing about the progress at:

http://limulus.basement-supercomputing.com/

Recently I was able to get 200 GFLOPS using Intel
i5-2400S processors connected by GigE (58% of peak).
Of course these are CPU FLOPS not GPU FLOPS and the
design has a power/heat/performance/noise envelope
that makes it suitable for true desk side computing.
(for things like software development, education,
small production work, and cloud staging)

You can find the raw HPC numbers and specifications here:

http://limulus.basement-supercomputing.com/wiki/CommercialLimulus

BTW, if click the "Nexlink Limulus" link, you can take a survey
for a chance to win one of these systems.

Happy holidays

--
Doug

--