[Beowulf] OT: public random numbers?

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Aug 14 19:59:25 PDT 2011

Given the discussion about lotteries, etc.

This is the classic thing of "numbers games" as run by the mob.  You pick a 3 digit number, and the winning number is determined by some readily available public source (stock market, sports games, racetrack winners, etc.).  There's probably a fair amount of literature (aside from the works of M. Puzo) describing it.

Payoff was something like 600:1 or 750:1, against a nominal 1000:1, so the numbers bank makes their money on the differential (the vig).

Just looked up wikipedia..
" later led to the use of the last three numbers in the published daily balance of the United States Treasury."

A moderately well known mathematician named Claude Shannon probably analyzed it.. He collaborated with E. Thorpe on some other interesting work on games.