[Beowulf] Westmere EX

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Wed Apr 6 11:18:35 PDT 2011

Hearns, John wrote:
>> What do you intend to use the machines for?
>> For a chessprogram they would be great, but none of those guys has
>> the cash to pay for these
>> machines.
>>

> The Supermicro board which Bruce Goglin refers to is said to support
> 16gbytes DIMMS.
>
> Quick Google says $944 dollars per DIMM, so $60 000 memory cost for a
> 1024 Gbyte machine,
> plus you can cook your dinner on it.

LOL.. (I have to admit that's kinda funny, but only because it's true)

I didn't look at the specs, but I wonder how many IOPS you could get off
a ram disk on that thing.. $60k is I believe (I could be wrong) in the
same ballpark as 1T 1U 1million IOPS appliances (albeit they offer
persistence and probably consume less power as well)