[Beowulf] Quadrics?

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Tue Apr 5 00:51:00 PDT 2011

On Apr 5, 2011, at 7:52 AM, Beat Rubischon wrote:

> Hi Vincent!
>
> On 04.04.11 21:16, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
>> latency is superior of quadrics compared to all the infini* stuff.
>
> Quadrics was great stuff - but it was outperformed once Mellanox
> invited
> their ConnectX chips. Additional the Quadrics team never got their
> PCIe
> chips (QSnet III) to fly. Finally the company closed their doors in
> may 09.
>
> I really liked their hard- and software. But the time is over...

of course there is new great pci-e solutions, yet the price per port
there is
bigger than entire machine with latest gpu, that's a big problem to
make cheap
clusters.

If you buy a cheap 6 core box of 350 euro then a new generation gpu is
318 euro or so  (that's a HD6970).

What's node price of the network?

>> Of course even the realtime linux kernel is rather crappy there, as
>> it locks every action from and to a socket (even RAW/UDP
>> communication in fact), so you need a 'hack' of that kernel anyway to
>> get faster latencies.
>
> When talking about Interconnects the kernel is not involved in
> communication. Any context switch is avoided to keep the overhead
> small.
> This basically means a real time kernel isn't needed as it would not
> give you any additional benefit.

realtime kernel keeps other worst cases down bigtime, especially with
respect to
scheduling.