[Beowulf] GP-GPU experience

Herbert Fruchtl herbert.fruchtl at st-andrews.ac.uk
Mon Apr 4 08:15:35 PDT 2011

They hear great success stories (which in reality are often prototype
implementations that do one carefully chosen benchmark well), then look at the
API, look at their existing code, and postpone the start of their project until
they have six months spare time for it. And we know when that is.

The current approach with more or less vendor specific libraries (be they "open"
or not) limits the uptake of GPU computing to a few hardcore developers of
experimental codes who don't mind rewriting their code every two years. It won't
become mainstream until we have a compiler that turns standard Fortran (or C++,
if it has to be) into GPU code. Anything that requires more change than let's
say OpenMP directives is doomed, and rightly so.

   Herbert

--
Herbert Fruchtl
Senior Scientific Computing Officer