[Beowulf] confidential data on public HPC cluster

Jon Forrest jlforrest at berkeley.edu
Mon Mar 1 08:51:37 PST 2010

On 3/1/2010 8:29 AM, Jonathan Dursi wrote:

> Are there good discussions of this somewhere? What resources do you
> point users to when they have such requirements, and what sorts of
> things can we put in place on our end to make life easier for such users
> without imposing new requirements on the rest of our user base?

My suggestion is to follow the wit and wisdom of
Nancy Reagan, and "just say no". That is getting
intimate knowledge of all the cracks and crevices
of sensitive/confidential data rules will be a huge
time sink, and will probably take your attention
away from the presumably more enjoyable benefits
of a modern HPC cluster.

Everytime I read about some embarrassing break-in
to a confidential data storage environment, I count
my lucky stars that I don't have any such data.
I know that I couldn't do any better than the
people whose names are now on the front page of
the paper.

Cordially,

--
Jon Forrest