[Beowulf] dollars-per-teraflop : any lists like the Top500?

Dmitri Chubarov dmitri.chubarov at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 01:23:24 PDT 2010

Hello,

This metric however misleading it might be, is sometimes used in press
releases. Here is just one that I could find by googling (Google
translation of a Russian original).

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcmag.ru%2Fnews%2Fdetail.php%3FID%3D6234&sl=ru&tl=en

It says: "unique for the Russian market price / performance ratio of
the complex: in the light of the full cost of the solution of 158K USD
for 1 teraflop of peak performance." (The text is dated 27.02.2007)

The price per teraflops is determined by the components cost, mainly
the CPU and the memory, so looking at the Intel, AMD, whatever price
lists per socket and subsequent extrapolation is all one needs to get
this metric.

Though if you would factor the infrastructure costs in, the picture
gets much more complicated.

--dc