[Beowulf] dollars-per-teraflop : any lists like the Top500?

Joshua mora acosta joshua_mora at usa.net
Wed Jun 30 06:10:47 PDT 2010

I think the money part will be difficult to get (it is like a politically
incorrect question).
Nevertheless, you can split the money in two parts: purchase (which I am sure
you will never get) and electric bill for kipping the system up and running
while you run HPL and when you run stream.
Then you could try at least to put the cost of the electric bill.
electric_bill_(USD)/performance_(TFLOPs)
The electric bill though will change for a given amount of kWs depending on
the contract/location you establish with the electric company. So it is
difficult to get that info as well.
So it is perhaps better to compare systems in terms of TFLOP/kW. And factor in
there what you are capable of negotiating on electric cost and purchase and
support.
Going back to the easy part:
For instance on GPU_CPU cluster based systems, you can achieve
1.1(real_DP_TFLOP)/kW with a ratio GPU/CPU=2
With that I have factored a whole rack with HW and SW stacks for 10TF real
double precission under 400K USD cost.

Joshua