[Beowulf] dollars-per-teraflop : any lists like the Top500?

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Wed Jun 30 05:45:17 PDT 2010

Even in publicly-owned computers, I'm sure the exact price of the
cluster is well hidden. As Greg said, the cost might be buried in
multi-year contract or as part of a larger contract.

These large supercomputers at national labs or large universities are
often provided by the vendor for little or no profit (maybe even a loss)
in exchange for prestige/advertising opportunities or R&D opportunities.
They make up this loss by selling to money-making corporations for a
much bigger margin.

For example, I would not be surprised if IBM practically gave away
RoadRunner to Los Alamos in exchange for the computing expertise at Los
Alamos to help develop such an architecture and then be able to say that
IBM builds the world's fastest computers (and that your company can have
one just like it, for a price). Oh, and the users at Los Alamos probably
provide lots of feedback to IBM which helps them build better systems in
the future. (Don't shoot me if I'm wrong. I'm just theorizing here)

I used to work at the Princeton Plasma Physics Lab (www.pppl.gov), a
Dept of Energy National Lab, and I can tell you many of the the systems
sold to PPPL when I worked there was sold under a NDA, preventing anyone
from discussing the price. Yes, the budgets are public information, but
that tells you the computer hardware budget for a year, not how much was
spent on each computer.

Prentice

--
Prentice