[Beowulf] first cluster [was [OMPI users] trouble using openmpi under slurm]

Douglas Guptill douglas.guptill at dal.ca
Tue Jul 13 15:05:38 PDT 2010

Hello Gus, list:

On Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 07:06:05PM -0400, Gus Correa wrote:
> Douglas Guptill wrote:

>>> Hi Douglas
>>>
>>> Yes, works like a charm along with OpenMPI.
>>> I also have MVAPICH2 and MPICH2, no integration w/ Torque,
>>> but no conflicts either.
>>
>> Thanks, Gus.
>>
>> After some lurking and reading, I plan this:
>>   Debian (lenny)
>>   + fai                   - for compute-node operating system install
>>   + Torque                - job scheduler/manager
>>   + MPI (Intel MPI)       - for the application
>>   + MPI (OpenMP)          - alternative MPI
>>
>> Does anyone see holes in this plan?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Douglas
>

> Hi Douglas
>
> I never used Debian, fai, or Intel MPI.
>
> We have two clusters with cluster management software, i.e.,
> mostly the operating system install stuff.
>
> I made a toy Rocks cluster out of old computers.
> Rocks is a minimum-hassle way to deploy and maintain a cluster.
> Of course you can do the same from scratch, or do more, or do better,
> which makes some people frown at Rocks.
> However, Rocks works fine, particularly if your network(s)
> is (are) Gigabit Ethernet,
> and if you don't mix different processor architectures (i.e. only i386
> or only x86_64, although there is some support for mixed stuff).
> It is developed/maintained by UCSD under an NSF grant (I think).
> It's been around for quite a while too.
>
> You may want to take a look, perhaps experiment with a subset of your
> nodes before you commit:
>
> http://www.rocksclusters.org/wordpress/

I am sure Rocks suits many, but not me, at first glance.  I am too
much of a tinkerer.  That comes, partially, from starting this
business too earlier; my first computer was a Univac II - vacuum
tubes, no operating system.

> What is the interconnect/network hardware you have for MPI?
> Gigabit Ethernet?  Infiniband?  Myrinet? Other?

Infiniband - QLogic 12300-BS18

> If Infiniband you may need to add the OFED packages,

Gotcha.  Thanks.

> If you are going to handle a variety of different compilers, MPI
> flavors, with various versions, etc, I recommend using the
> "Environment module" package.

My one user has requested that.

> I hope this helps.

A Big help.  Much appreciated.

Douglas.
--
  Douglas Guptill                       voice: 902-461-9749
  Research Assistant, LSC 4640          email: douglas.guptill at dal.ca
  Oceanography Department               fax:   902-494-3877
  Dalhousie University
  Halifax, NS, B3H 4J1, Canada