[Beowulf] first cluster

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Mon Jul 12 12:02:40 PDT 2010

Hi Doug

Consider disk for:

A) swap space (say, if the user programs are large,
or you can't buy a lot of RAM, etc);
I wonder if swapping over NFS would be efficient for HPC.
Disk may be a simple and cost effective solution.

B) input/output data files that your application programs may require
(if they already work in stagein-stageout mode,
or if they do I/O so often that a NFS mounted file system
may get overwhelmed, hence reading/writing on local disk may be preferred).

C) Would diskless scaling be a real big advantage for
a small/medium size cluster, say up to ~200 nodes?

D) Most current node chassis have hot-swappable disks, not hard to
replace, in case of failure.

E) booting when the NFS root server is not reachable

Disks don't prevent one to keep a single image and distribute
it consistently across nodes, do they?

In any case, I suppose you could both have disks and boot with NFS root.
But if you have disks, is there really a point in doing so?

I guess there are old threads about this in the list archives.

Just some thoughts.

Gus Correa