[Beowulf] first cluster

Douglas Guptill douglas.guptill at dal.ca
Mon Jul 12 10:02:34 PDT 2010

Ah Ha.  I see the point of a non-diskful, or nfs root, install for the
compute nodes.  One image to update/change, instead of a whole bunch.

Thanks,
Douglas.

On Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 07:11:18PM -0400, Mark Hahn wrote:

> well, the thing about nfs root is that there's almost no installation,
> per se.  if you wanted, you could boot the nodes off a live master's
> root filesystem.  normally, master and node images are kept mostly
> separate, though, because it's handy to avoid entangling them
> (ie, you may not want mysql-server installed on compute nodes, but only
> on the master, etc.  or just different versions.)

And from Steve Crusan:

--
  Douglas Guptill                       voice: 902-461-9749
  Research Assistant, LSC 4640          email: douglas.guptill at dal.ca
  Oceanography Department               fax:   902-494-3877
  Dalhousie University
  Halifax, NS, B3H 4J1, Canada