[Beowulf] PBS/Maui delay starting of several jobs for certain user

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Fri Jul 2 08:30:29 PDT 2010

> Hi all,
> we have a user with jobs that create heavy I/O load on our network
file
> system every x minutes. If I block her jobs and start them manually
> with
> a delay of about 10 minutes, she can run about 60 jobs simultaneously.
> However, if I don't do that and the jobs are started at more or less
> the
> same time (for example after a big job from another user finished),
she
> can run about 30 jobs without stressing our file system so hard that
> "ls" takes 30 seconds to display any home directory.

Nico,
  I have the perfect tool for this job:
http://www.bofhcam.org/co-larters/lart-reference/

I did have a quick look in the PBSpro admin manual - I can't see
anything at first glance
which limits number of jobs per scheduler cycle. I could very well be
wrong.
You can increase the intervals between scheduler runs - but that will
not do exactly what you want.

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.