[Beowulf] dollars-per-teraflop : any lists like the Top500?

Jon Forrest jlforrest at berkeley.edu
Thu Jul 1 09:03:29 PDT 2010

Another reason why some vendors are willing to
sell stuff at reduced prices to universities is
for visibility. The thinking is that when grad
students (finally) graduate and go off into
industry, they'll want to buy the same stuff
they used when they were students. I'm not
sure how valid this approach is, but I don't
argue with it.

As the #1 public university in many (most?)
scientific fields, UC Berkeley gets approached
with all kinds of deals. During the boom times
we sometimes had to turn down such deals because
we simply didn't have the space and/or the people
to allow us to accept the equipment.

Things are different now, but space and people
are still more expensive than most equipment.

Cordially,
--
Jon Forrest
Research Computing Support