[Beowulf] Anyone with really large clusters seeing memory leaks with OFED 1.5 for tcp based apps?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Sat Jan 30 21:38:24 PST 2010

Hi folks

   Trying to trace something annoying down, and see if we are running
into something that is known.

   OFED 1.5 on a 2.6.30.10 kernel.  Running a file system atop IPoIB
(many reasons, none I care to get into here at the moment).  Under light
load, the file system gradually grabs memory.  Possibly a leak, not
entirely sure.  Could be the OFED stack underneath.  Backing file system
is xfs.  That is has been (on this hardware in other situations) rock
solid stable.  Here, xfs, OFED/IPoIB all toss their cookies (and fail
allocations) under moderate to heavy load.

   Working with the file system vendor on this.  I am not sure we have
the answer nailed, so I wanted to see who out there is running a big (
 >512 nodes) cluster, doing large data transfers (preferably over
IPoIB), for data storage, and running a late model OFED.  If you fall
into this category, please let me know, as I'd like to ask a few
questions offline about any observed OFED/IPoIB failure modes.  I am not
convinced it is OFED/IPoIB, but I'd like to see what other people have
run into ... if anything.

   Thanks!

Joe

--