[Beowulf] clustering using xen virtualized machines

Gavin Burris bug at sas.upenn.edu
Thu Jan 28 08:23:30 PST 2010

Two staff couldn't handle 2k users and 100 of departments, or that much
hardware.  Answering tickets or emails alone would be overwhelming.
Building/maintaining the VMs, or training/document/helping the
departments to build their own VMs is a monumental task in and of
itself.  A more realistic number is 1 FTE per 4 hpc-using departments.

I would wager that generalizing and not targeting any particular
performance aspect will only cause the departments to pool their own
money and build their own targeted resource, for less money, with a grad
student and an oreilly book.  I find that most users only have time for
their application workflow or domain-specific coding, not to be system
programmers making VMs.

Sorry, I'm not drinking the virtualization/cloud koolaid.  I'd love to
have everything abstracted and easy to manage, but I find standardizing
on an OS or two and keeping things as stock as possible is easier, and
cheaper to manage at this point.  In my situation, virtualization just
adds complexity and has a price/performance penalty.

Cheers.