[Beowulf] HPC/mpi courses

Dmitri Chubarov dmitri.chubarov at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 01:26:00 PST 2010

Jonathan,

thanks for the tip regarding the O'Reilly book. I did a search for it
and found out that it has been made available for download by the
author of the second edition, Dr. Charles Severance
http://cnx.org/content/col11136/latest/.

The first edition written by Kevin Dowd was going out of print in 1996
when Charles Severance took charge of the second edition and put it
online when the second edition ran out.

On software optimization for HPC we found the SIAM "cheetah" book
"Performance Optimization of Numerically Intensive Codes" by Stefan
Goedecker and Adolfy Hoise to be often referred to as the standard
reference.

The other two books I found on Safari were "Software Optimization for
High-Performance Computing" By Kevin R. Wadleigh and Isom L. Crawford
published in 2000 with an emphasis on linear algebra and signal
processing applications and "The Art of Multiprocessor Programming" by
Maurice Herlihy and Nir Shavit published in 2008 that is really good
on datastructures and "non-numerical" algorithms.

There are probably many more books published by universities as online
courses. Also I know a few undergraduate level textbooks in Russian
that are unlikely to be ever translated into English.

Dima