[Beowulf] Gridengine and bash + Modules

madskaddie at gmail.com madskaddie at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 06:38:13 PST 2010

2010/1/16 Brian Smith <brs at usf.edu>:
> I'm using this in our environment.  I've simply added the Modules
> environment code to /etc/bashrc and /etc/csh.cshrc on all nodes (I use
> puppet to manage everything, so this is easy).  This ensures that
> Modules is properly integrated with your environment regardless of
> whether you are using an interactive or non-interactive invocation of
> these shells.  This works for SGE (I'm on 6.2u4, ATM)

But it seems that gridengine spawns like "bash script_name" so no rc
files are read. Reading bash manpage, I found the BASH_ENV environment
variable:

"""
When  bash  is  started non-interactively, to run a shell script, for
example, it looks for the variable BASH_ENV in the environment,
expands its value if it appears there, and uses the expanded value as
the name of a file to read and execute.  Bash behaves as if the
following command were executed:
              if [ -n "$BASH_ENV" ]; then . "$BASH_ENV"; fi
but the value of the PATH variable is not used to search for the file name.
"""
(bash manpage)

Right now I'm setting this variable and with the "-V" job submission
flag it's working well (it does not work correctly without it)

Gil

--
"
It can't continue forever. The nature of exponentials is that you push