[Beowulf] running the Linpak -HPL benchmark.

Gustavo Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Sun Jan 17 18:03:25 PST 2010

Hi Rahul

I've got Rmax/Rpeak around 84% on the cluster (AMD Opteron Shanghai, IB on a single switch).
I didn't have the cluster available to play with HPL for too long, not too much tuning,
I had to move to production mode.
Some folks on mailing lists said they'd get 90%, but the topmost group in Top500 get less
(as of mid-2009 it was ~75%, IIRR), probably because of their big networks
with stacked switches and communication overhead.

To optimize in a single node, apply also the formula for Nmax, using the node's RAM.
P and Q (block matrix decomposition) tend to be optimal when they are close to each other.

With Nehalem you may have to consider the extra complexity of
symmetric multi-threading (hyperthreading),
and whether it makes or doesn't make a difference on very regular problems like HPL,
with big loops and not much branching/ifs.
(Your real world computational chemistry problems probably are not like that.)
Have you tried HPL with and without SMT/hyperthreading?
It maybe worth testing on a single node at least.

I hope this helps.
Gus Correa