[Beowulf] Any recommendations for a good JBOD?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Feb 20 02:42:40 PST 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 05:18:17PM -0600, Rahul Nabar wrote:

> I totally agree! Especially for my "tiny" storage capacity (~5
> Terabytes)  the cost of the non-disk accessories
> (enclosure+controllers+cables) is turning out to be several fold that
> of the disks themselves! That was pretty surprising to me!

I presume you're buying things off-the-shelf, but even then
a borderline useful empty 4-drive Qnap is around 700 EUR. A much
more poweful DIY system with 8 SATA hotplug shouldn't be more than
1 kEUR. In comparison, filling it up with cheap 2 TByte
disks is at least twice that.

In practice you can just get a quote for a BTO supermicro
server or rackmount for only a little more.