[Beowulf] Re: Third-party drives not permitted on new Dell servers?

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Feb 12 02:21:43 PST 2010

Hi,

Am 12.02.2010 um 09:51 schrieb Kilian CAVALOTTI:

> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Rahul Nabar <rpnabar at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 1:41 AM, Rahul Nabar <rpnabar at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I came across this very interesting thread on a related mailing
>>> list
>>> that I thought would be quite relevant to those of us using Dell
>>> hardware. Apparently Dell has started hardware-blocking hard-drives
>>> that are not "Dell certified".
>
> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2010/02/10/
> dell_perc_11th_gen_qualified_hdds_only/

are they just blocking non-qualified drives, but you could still
install qualified ones bought not from Dell? And: will their
qualified ones work on other controllers?

This sounds like ProStor prevents usage of other disks in RDX drives'
cartridges (AFAIK they are doing this by ATA passwords*), and you are
limited to their cartridges. And in emergency case you can't use the
disks with other controllers due to this.

-- Reuti

* http://www.heise.de/foren/S-Re-Erfahrungen-Tandberg-RDX-QuikStor/
forum-7273/msg-16513128/read/