[Beowulf] Re: Third-party drives not permitted on new Dell servers?

stephen mulcahy smulcahy at atlanticlinux.ie
Fri Feb 12 02:21:21 PST 2010

Kilian CAVALOTTI wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Rahul Nabar <rpnabar at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 1:41 AM, Rahul Nabar <rpnabar at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I came across this very interesting thread on a related mailing  list
>>> that I thought would be quite relevant to those of us using Dell
>>> hardware. Apparently Dell has started hardware-blocking hard-drives
>>> that are not "Dell certified".
>
> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2010/02/10/dell_perc_11th_gen_qualified_hdds_only/
>
> Cheers,

I purchased some cheap Dell servers a few years ago Poweredge 1600SC's I
think. I went to upgrade their CDROM drives with some DVDROM drives we
had spare and the systems refused to boot. When I phoned Dell support
they told me the servers wouldn't operate with non-Dell drives so I
don't think this is a new policy - but maybe they had different policies
for different servers.

Anyways, I haven't had much interest in Dell servers since then - I'm ok
with your support entitlement being degraded if the BIOS detects
non-qualified parts in the system but refusing to operate a commodity PC
with other commodity PC components isn't what I want from my system vendor.

-stephen

--
Stephen Mulcahy     Atlantic Linux         http://www.atlanticlinux.ie
Registered in Ireland, no. 376591 (144 Ros Caoin, Roscam, Galway)