[Beowulf] Memory stress testing tools.

Tony Travis a.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Thu Dec 9 04:16:34 PST 2010

On 07/12/10 16:54, Prentice Bisbal wrote:
> Dear Beowulfers,
>
> Can any of you recommend a good RAM stress testing tool?
>
> I have a server with 128GB of RAM that keeps reporting single-bit
> errors. Every time this happens, I reseat the DIMMS or swap them around,
> and then run some large MPI jobs with I hope stress the RAM. Sometimes
> this produces more SBEs, sometimes it doesn't. When the system seems
> stable, I let the users back on it, and sure enough, they get it to
> start reporting SBEs in short order.

Hi, Prentice.

Have you tried Charles Cazabon's user-space "memtester" program:

   http://pyropus.ca/software/memtester/

It doesn't test *all* the memory, just what it can lock, but it does
stress the memory sub-system in the same way that applications do...

Bye,

   Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK