[Beowulf] NFS share - IO rate

Bogdan Costescu bcostescu at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 06:32:28 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Henning Fehrmann
<henning.fehrmann at aei.mpg.de> wrote:
> Doing these tests on clients might give a better picture of the
> usability of the cache system.
> Measuring the performance on the server wouldn't also take into account the
> buffering of the VFS or NFS on the client side.

>From what I understand, allowing clients to cache would actually
reduce the rates that the server has to deal with. If you just want to
measure the server's response, you could mount the NFS shares with the
"sync" flag, so that no caching occurs on the clients.
Another idea: you could measure the network rates on the server; this
would still include the client caching effects - however this would
not be very easy to translate into IOP/s.

> In the bidding process we specified the read and write rate doing random seeks on the server,
> induced and seen by many clients in parallel.

OK :-) This still doesn't mention where there measurement takes place...

Cheers,
Bogdan