[Beowulf] 96 cores in silent and small enclosure

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Apr 13 09:47:34 PDT 2010

Ahh.. but the market is partitioned.. Folks like the ones on this list tend to be buying "server class" processors installed in "server class" hardware, so even if the bottom of the line consumer ones have high failure rates, we'd ignore it, and concentrate on the ones you're buying.

A mass market seller doing $500 notebooks will very carefully analyze the return rates, etc. and target appropriately.

It would not surprise me at all that AMD and Intel recognize this, and it's manifested in the various thermal design documents, albeit not with a explanatory comment like "models A,B,and C are intended for cost sensitive consumer products while models X,Y,and Z are intended for performance and reliability sensitive applications, and the thermal models reflect this".