[Beowulf] 96 cores in silent and small enclosure

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Fri Apr 9 12:43:03 PDT 2010

Jonathan Aquilina <eagles051387 at gmail.com> wrote:

>also would distilled water collected from dehumidifiers be
> non conductive as well?

Well "non-conductive" is a relative term, it won't be as conductive as
ocean water, nor as non-conductive as you want for this application.
Any type of ions in the fluid will drive the conductivity up, and if all
you are doing is precipitating water out of the air with a typical
commercial A/C component it will not be very clean.  Labs that need
really clean water usually distill it multiple times or put it through a
chain of filters.  Some of these systems have a resistivity meter at the
end, as that's an easy way to check that the water is as pure as is
needed.  We had a system like that when I was in grad school, and the
water just sitting in it would increase in conductivity over time as
ions leached out of the internal parts.  So when it was turned on the
first part of the flow would be quite conductive, and it would be
directed into the sink.  Only when the meter showed the water was clean
enough would water be collected.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu