[Beowulf] recommendation on crash cart for a cluster room: fullcluster KVM is not an option I suppose?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Wed Sep 30 14:53:56 PDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 03:31:15PM +0100, Hearns, John wrote:

> Are you happy with the IPMI on Supermicro? I've been unable to
> personally test a KVM + remote media IPMI from them,

I have 200+ nodes of SuperMicro IPMI, and its suckage is not as much as
the average I've seen over the years. I've had a couple replaced
because they were misbehaving (some weird configuration problem), I've
had to update firmware once (which was easy) to fix some bugs, and
I've only had 1 mysteriously lock up. That's over more than a year.

I'm also a fan of a dedicated ethernet for ipmi.

-- greg