[Beowulf] recommendation on crash cart for a cluster room: full cluster KVM is not an option I suppose?

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Wed Sep 30 06:30:50 PDT 2009

I like the shared socket approach. Building a separate IPMI network
seems a lot of extra wiring to me. Admittedly the IPMI switches can be
configured to be dirt cheap but it still feels like building a extra
tiny road for one car a day when a huge highway with spare capacity
exists right next door carrying thousands of cars. (Ok, cheesy
analogy!)

Errrr....  you missed all my Beowulf posts about the clashes with the
IPMI ports
and the ports used for 'rsh' connections on a cluster then? And all the
shenanigans
with setting sunrpc.min_resvport etc.?

Having a separate, simple IPMI network which comes up when you power the
racks up
has a lot of advantages. 10/100 Netgear switches cost almost nothing,
and getting
another loom of Cat5 cables configured when the racks are being built is
relatively easy.

By the way, which hardware do you use?

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.