[Beowulf] recommendation on crash cart for a cluster room: full cluster KVM is not an option I suppose?

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 22:23:14 PDT 2009

Any good recommendation on a crash cart for a cluster room? My last
cluster was small and we had the luxury of having a KVM + SIP
connecting to each compute node.

I doubt that will be feasible this time around , now that I have 200+
nodes. How do other sys admins handle this? Just a simple crash cart?
Or there any other options that make life easier in the long run.

Note that for my head nodes etc. I do plan on having a small (4 port)
KVM in the main rack with its console and rackmount keyboard. I guess
the crash cart will cause a duplication of this keyboard + monitor but
that can't be avoided. Or can it?

I'm not trying to be cheap here but just splurge a bit and get a
solution that will make late hours of debugging a little more
palatable for the sys-admins!

--
Rahul