[Beowulf] posting bonnie++ stats from our cluster: any comments about my I/O performance stats?

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 15:00:23 PDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Steve Cousins <cousins at umit.maine.edu> wrote:

> Hi Rahul,

Thanks for all those comments Steve!

> One thing to try with bonnie++ is to run multiple instances at the same
> time. For our tests, one single instance of bonnie showed 560 MB/sec writes
> and 524 MB/sec reads. Going to 4 instances at the same time brought it up to
> an aggregate of ~600 MB/sec writes and ~950 MB/sec reads.

That's interesting. Multiple bonnie++ instances boost the aggregate
performance? Why is that? Just curious.

> Once the server has the performance you want, I'd use Netcat from a number

Thanks! I've never tried using netcat. That's a good lead for a tool to try.

> Good luck. It can be quite a process sorting through it all. I really just
> meant to comment on your use of only one instance of Bonnie++ on the server.
> Sorry to go beyond the scope of your question. You probably have already
> done these other things in a different way.

Not at all. What you suggest is very much within the scope of my
current investigation. And no, I don't think I've tried the ideas you
mention. So this is new and helpful.

Thanks again!

--
Rahul