[Beowulf] Facebook: Yes, We Need 100-GigE

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Thu Sep 24 01:54:26 PDT 2009

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=181899

Facebook: Yes, We Need 100-GigE

September 16, 2009 | Craig Matsumoto | Comments (13)

It's become cliché to say that companies like Facebook would use 100-Gbit/s
Ethernet right now if they had it. But it helps when someone from Facebook
actually shows up and hammers on that point.

"Hold on there Bald Eagle"

Isn't this a case of every problem being a nail if you only have a hammer?
What is all this bandwidth being USED for?
Surely on the Beowulf list we should be looking at this from the angle of parallel processing -
if your huge central pipe is maxed out, then maybe distributing the problem among many smaller,
cheaper pipes (and processing units) is the way to go.

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.