[Beowulf] bad bonnie++ in 14-drive RAID 10

stephen mulcahy smulcahy at atlanticlinux.ie
Wed Sep 16 05:40:19 PDT 2009

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 12:18:27PM +0100, stephen mulcahy wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure what else people read from bonnie++ results but I normally
>
> I realize people mostly prefer IOZone, or similar.

Personally, I like bonnie++ for the general overview it gives. It's a
shame there isn't a public collection of good bonnie++ date people can
use to compare their results with others (for a general, is my hardware
performing in the right ballpark, type check)

>> In your case, I'm reading the results below as a block write speed of
>> 455 MB/sec and a block read speed of 528 MB/sec which seems pretty good
>
> Thanks, this was the kind of comment I was looking for. The raw
> aggregate disk speed is roughly 770 MB/sec, so this result is not all
> that bad.

Like I said, maybe wait for some of the storage experts to wake up and
respond and you may get a more accurate analysis of your results.

-stephen

--
Stephen Mulcahy     Atlantic Linux         http://www.atlanticlinux.ie
Registered in Ireland, no. 376591 (144 Ros Caoin, Roscam, Galway)